Monday 1 January 2024

The Reading Challenge 2023

In 2023 I encouraged you to read books from different places. No other rules but geographical location. You could choose the genre! As usual, at least 12 books, one for each month.  Below you can see the books I chose for each month theme.

  1. Africa: The Lioness by Tom Buk-Swienty 
  2. Antarctica: Hiihtovaellus etelänavalle by Stein P. Aasheim
  3. Arctic region: Inughuit by Tiina Itkonen
  4. Asia: Melkein geisha by Minna Eväsoja
  5. Australia: The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart by Holly Ringland
  6. Central America: The Double Life of Fidel Castro by Juan Reinaldo Sánchez
  7. Europe: This Is Going to Hurt by Adam Kay
  8. Middle East: The Country of The Others by Leïla Slimani 
  9. North America: Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
  10. Sea: Seashore Sounds by Sam Taplin
  11. South America: Poems written by Gabriela Mistral
  12. Space: Taivaanpallo by Olli Jalonen
Past year has been extremely busy and challenging but also brought great news and possibilities despite it put also challenges, sadness and sorrows on my road. Still I was able to keep up my aim to read at least 12 books in a year and this year even more. I've also read ten other books listed below and several piles of craft books which are not mentioned here. That makes 22 books to read. It would not have succeed without audio books. I still don't prefer them because I simply L*O*V*E reading but the audio books are good options if you just can't sit down and read so often a real paper book. 

Bokhandlen på Riverside Drive by Frida Skybäck (in Finnish, library item). The book title is the original Swedish. It is not translated in English. The book is a feelgood book for every book lover. It tells about a Swedish woman who inherits a bookshop by the river Thames in London. I didn't like the love triangle drama which it included in background story but it was not too disturbing. 

The Golden Rule by Amanda Craig (in Finnish, audio book, library item). Definitely not my genre because marriage and divorce with secret love affairs are included. Chose this one because my free library audio book collection is not very wide and this was the only reasonable that was available at the moment. This was my first book written by Amanda Craig. I must admit she includes many obvious and common subjects and sometimes I feel she writes about the issues without personal nor deeper experiment. Still, she includes domestic violence committed also by woman, which is fresh touch but not very deep aspect, but I still must give her credit from that. She writes strongly about Cornwall nature and brings it and old buildings very alive. That must be the issue she is more familiar with. Still, a good read with surprises and attachment, worth of reading and doesn't include adult only material despite of the themes.

Gulliver's Travels part I and II (A Voyage to Lilliput & A Voyage to Brobdingnag) by Jonathan Swift (in Finnish, audio book, library item). Amused myself by listening to this audio book on my drives to work and back. Been read it several times as child and to my own children too. Seen cartoon on tv etc. Interesting and fascinating to remember it was written and published on time when the world was quite unknown and unexplored.

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson (in Finnish, audio book, free try out month by Nextory as a customer bonus from Nordic Green Energy from which we have bought our electricity since... when they started to operate in Finland). Self-help book for people who hate self-help books. Actually I have this item in my library. It is His book and I have planned to read it but found it at Nextory and instead decided to listen to it. Mark Manson uses rough language on purpose, so if you can't tolerate it, this is not for you. He may sound wise guy but at the end you understand he knows what he talks about. He has been forced to look at the mirror and because he didn't like what to see he decided to make the change instead of stepping out of the sight and not to look at the mirror again. There are many good lessons and actually many of his teachings origin to Asian and Tibetan practices. He just speaks it out like a man to another. 

Koti Keniassa by Viola Wallenius (in Finnish, audio book, free try out month by Nextory as a customer bonus from Nordic Green Energy from which we have bought our electricity since... when they started to operate in Finland) This book is not translated in English. It tells a young Finnish woman's story who was seeking herself and found much more than herself. She is one of the persons who started HomeStreetHome charity organization in Kenya. The book is titled "Home in Kenya". Even I am aware of these problems and have read Viola's column in my labour union magazine, sometimes the subjects were so devastating that I had to have a break. If you are not aware of problems in Kenya, Africa or elsewhere, this is a good book, if translated in your language some day, but give time to everything, also reading. (HomeStreetHome is reliable and trustworthy charity organization that has cooperation process also with famous Finnish jeweler company KalevalaKoru.)

Viikinkien maailma (The World of Vikings) - Maailman Historia (World History) series by Saga Egmont publisher (in Finnish, audio book, free try out month by Nextory as a customer bonus from Nordic Green Energy from which we have bought our electricity since... when they started to operate in Finland) Interesting and compact history book of latest viking discoveries connected to previous information. Easy to read/listen and follow. 

Pitkään meni ihan hyvin (It was quite fine for a while) by Anna Rimpelä (in Finnish, audio book, free try out month by Nextory as a customer bonus from Nordic Green Energy from which we have bought our electricity since... when they started to operate in Finland) Finnish granny comic book which didn't felt comic after the very begin. Quite soon it turn out heavy and even racist. I have worked for years with grannies and grandpas and only thing I could think was that for God's sake if the situation really is that some other character should question the happenings and get involved. Because of my experience the book feels unreal and unrealistic. Also, the main character's personality felt heavy and nasty. Most of the comic is build in the way of the main character's negative thoughts towards everyone and everything, or selfish thoughts that gives a reason for her actions. If you have met such people or for a reason need to be involved with one, this book is not for you. 

Bloomsbury Girls by Natalie Jenner (in Finnish, audio book, library item). Didn't read The Jane Austen Society but will after getting familiar to this. Natalie Jenner is an excellent author. She uses inspiration and imagination instead of sex, bloody body parts and murders. Still, she keeps it all exciting and enchanting and sooner than you notice, you are addicted.

The Mountains Sing by Nguyễn Phan Quế Mai (in Finnish, audio book and hard cover version, library item). I  started this novel as an audio book but it had some unsolved technical issues at the end part so I had to borrow the hard cover version to be able to finish this interesting story. I recommend this book to everyone. It is fictive but bases on historical facts. It tells about the Vietnam war from Vietnamese point of the view. For the first time in my life I was able to hear the voice of Vietnamese people about the war. Everyone should read this at leas for the general education. Far too often western people are introduced the Vietnamese war facts from western aspect. 

Vesper Flights by Helen Macdonald (in Finnish, library item). I read this book slow during the whole year so I actually renewed my one month borrowing licence for it for several times. I was able to do so because it had no waiting list. This book would have perfectly match also to the Reading Challenge 2023 December theme about the space and is originally written in English. I really like Helen Macdonald's style to write. This book was as good as H is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald I read back in 2018 reading challenge. Again she gives the reader themes to think. I think Vesper Flights can give you a slight idea about it what people living in Finland mean when they say they need some space. And when you have it, you are happy. I read Vesper Flights slowly and thinking but I wonder if it brings more into my mind during the time. After reading H is for Hawk I have realized that the birds have always had a huge role in my life and culture. They just are like the air that I breath, I just don't realize it all the time. Still, no birds as pets and now I know why: they must be able to fly free.

***

The Reading Challenge 2024 at Ommel-blog will be published soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...