Monday 13 March 2023

Inughuit

In March 2023 I encouraged you to read a book that tells about Arctic. To find my book, first I decided the region I want the book to be placed or based on. That's Greenland! But not in the way the tourists see it, that was my only personal demand. Otherwise I was open to all the genres so for the next I went to my library database to find books that tells about Greenland. That is how I crashed at Tiina Itkonen's book Inughuit (in Finnish and English) which seemed to be very interesting. Then I went to the library to pick it up. When I had it in my hands I experienced a tiny -actually a huge- crisis. Is it a book? No, it can't be a book. There is only pictures! How can I read it if there is no words!!!???!!! For a while I stood there, in the silent library, in silence, this book in my hands. Then I decided it must be a book because it is in a library's books department. 😀

I felt a bit sad because I thought this books doesn't tell about Inughuits at all, instead it shows just pictures of them. I decided to borrow the book anyway and stay in my plan. I decided to google about Inughuits later after watching the book. I thought I watch the book in an hour. This book destroyed several prejudices of mine considering photo art books. I used 13 days with the book despite it mainly had only pictures about Inughuits. I also found some written words about the Inughuits in the book. At the end I don't need to google at all. The book answered into my present questions about the topic.

The picture you see on this post is taken by me from the book cover and adjusted to make the clear difference it is not or nothing like the original photo Tiina Itkonen has made. You can see Tiina Itkonen's fabulous photos of the book on her website Inughuit 1995-2002.

For sure, in the future, I want to read literature written by indigenous people of Greenland. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...