Wednesday 5 April 2023

napaJ

In April 2023 I encourage you to read a book that tells about Asia. For the challenge I picked up Finnish Minna Eväsoja's book "Melkein geisha" (= almost geisha). I read it in Finnish and it seems not to be translated. It tells about her years and studies in Japan. It bases on her diary notes and gives honest voice to an alien living in and studying Japanese culture and traditions. Also, it gives the eyes and opens the covered windows for the reader to see it all. Before this book I didn't know much about Japan and its culture. At some point reading caused emotional and educational anxiety. According to the subtitle, it really is charming and insane Japan. For example I didn't know children rights are so poor in Japan. After reading this book I understand quite clear everything how Japan has shown to me before. I like the book because it is objective and  informing, speaking about the topics straight but not for or against. It gives the reader the freedom to form out ones own point of the view.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...