Monday 22 January 2024

National costume

So, what I've been up to lately? This is one project I've been in the middle of. What is it? It is Perä-Pohjola national costume from Finland. Perä-Pohjola is a region that can be called as Southern Lapland. Literally it means "at the end of north". To us, the north just begins from here. :)

My mother-in-law wove the skirt fabric and started to make the national costume for herself in 1980's. She had done most of the sewing. It was missing the finishing which meant it missed most of all the embroidery. For about five years ago she gave it to me. I didn't finish it until now. 

This is the only national costume I could wear if not using my own Sámi costume. It is the matter of heart. But I didn't make this for me. 

It is now finished. It includes the skirt, vest, shirt, apron and scarf. As always, making a national costume needs a lot of time. I often say there is nothing extremely demanding in the weaving, sewing or embroidery skills, but it needs patience and time just to sit down and do it. Nowadays many can't just sit down and do it for hours after hours. I think making the exact proper and neat holes for the cord needed approx 4-5 hours of my life. There are 10 holes, not to mention other embroidery parts, just think about it.

It is all done and finished and packed up for home delivery for someone very special creature on the planet earth!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...