Friday 17 March 2023

New&Old

Last December I bought new winter coat for me. It had no faux fur around the hood. Which is only good 'cause faux fur is useless here where I live so it is just a waste of nature resources and supports only oil industry. If a coat has a faux fur I always need to take it off and throw away.

My old winter jacket is still doing just fine. It has lost a bit of its warmth but is still very usable and I wear it weekly. That's why I could not re-use -again- its fur for the new winter jacket. And that's why my mother-in-law gave me a fur collar from an old coat she didn't need. 

The shape of the old fur collar matched quite well to the shape of my new hood. That's why I decided to put it rather inside than just around the hood's outer edge. 

You can't just pin anything made of leather or skin/fur. Pinning makes permanent holes, pierces, to the skin. That´s why, if you need to make it stay, you need to use some kind of clips. Anything does just fine as long as it opens wide enough so that you can attach it. 

This time I decided to sew the fur from its one edge to the hood by my sewing machine. For it I needed leather needles.

The other edge I sew by hands -as usual- to fasten it into the lining of the hood. So, both edges of the fur are attached to different places of the hood. So, this is made differently than in FurHood -tutorial.

At the end, the fur turns inside the hood (instead of rounding the hood from its outer edge around the face) Some consider this warmer. It might be that but after using this and other styles I am ready to say that in my use I need it to be done rather like in FurHood-tutorial than like this -turn inside. It is because I have over 30 years old -bad- frost bites in my cheeks. When you compare these two styles you can notice how much more and better "the old style" covers my face.  I need -most of all- the fur to be a wind breaker. In that way it creates like a tiny hut for my head hidden in the hood. Of course the pattern of the hood determines a lot too but a fur around the edge makes it deeper anyway.

Anyway, this style I used now works good enough and is pretty enough. So, I let it be and protect my cheeks with extra collar. See how beautiful moose horn button my father-in-law made for me for my birthday for my belt!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...