Monday 31 July 2023

KuukkeliUkko

Last weekend I had a pattern making course in Salla, Finland. It was about my siida Sámi costumes. We had a hard working weekend and all the students succeed to finish their individual Kuolajärvi siida Sámi costume pattern, either for men or women.

I stayed at a friend and helped her family in Kuolajärvi siida Sámi costume pattern making. We had time also for some empowering nature activities. 

If you ever visit Salla region go to see the museum Noiti Viessu (Hetteentie 4, Salla). It is very interesting regional Sámi museum. It is there, just go to see. You can find (at some time) even cafe and accommodation there. It is run by a private Forest Sámi person.

These mysterious horn work miniature sculptures you can see on this post are made by Kuukkeli-Ukko. He is Forest Sámi and makes volunteer work for our Kuolajärvi siida. I bought these two miniature sculptures (to support my siida) for Him and YoungLady who were at home while I was away. This reindeer calf is for YoungLady; my own calf. The adult moose is for Him.

Kuukkeli-Ukko is the artist name of Jukka Säntti. Kuukkeli means Siberian jay and ukko means man. There´s Advent calendar post Kuusâk about Siberian jay in Forest Sámi culture.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...