Friday 14 July 2023

Hop & Cochineal

Dyeing is not meant for busy and restless persons. This week I've been doing plant dyeing. At the same time I've been writing a letter to a dear friend, using the yarn winder to make balls of dyed and dried yarn. Reading is also a good idea when dyeing.

I have quite a lot hop growing in my arctic traditional garden. Every year I use it for different purposes. It has sedative effect but it is also suitable for plant dyeing.

For the 1st time I bought and used cochineal for dyeing process. It is a tiny cactus-dwelling insect that produces a vibrant red pigment.

Here you can see the result compared to original natural shade of AAW yarn. But, this is not the end of dyeing. There are still many kilos left AAW yarn. I am working to get more than the natural shades. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...