Thursday 19 September 2024

Webcaps

If you open a book of mushroom it always says on the front page:

          1. First learn to recognize the poisonous mushrooms 
          2. Eat only the mushrooms you recognize
Well, I am still on the part one so I don't eat the mushrooms I pick up. 😅 But that is why it is safe to go to pick up mushrooms with me. If I don't identify it, it might be eatable. If I do, you should not eat it in any case. 

On the pic above you can see two different mushrooms for natural dyes. On the left there are Surprise Webcaps (Cortinarius semisanguineus) and on the right Bloodred Webcaps (Cortinarius sanguineus).

Both Webcaps give red shade but Bloodred more. Bloodred Webcaps grow also in Lapland but not so rich. It is much easier to find Surprise Webcaps. This year I have a trial going on so I freeze all the Surprise Webcaps to see if it is possible to storage them in that way and still get usable colors in dyeing process. Usually the instruction is to use them immediately or dry for the further use. It is easier for me to freeze them so I try that out for Surprise Webcaps. The Bloodred Webcaps I dry. There are fewer of them so it is easier for me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...