Sunday 8 September 2024

Bathrobe

 

This is an old bathrobe I designed and made 24 years ago for MrW whose dream-job-to-be was a paleontologist. Dinosaurs -of course- were the point. At that time there was no dinosaur themed bathrobes up here in the north. Today my grandchild uses this as her bathrobe when she visits us. Unfortunately, after all these years, its a bit broken. Notice the lowest button is missing (not for real, I have it in my button box) and it's a bit torn where the button used to be.

This T-Rex bathrobe was something super spectacular because it includes T-Rex footprints like it had walked over the bathrobe. You can see it all has maintained quite well the wear and wash. MrW got this when it was too big for him and hard to walk in it and he gave it away only when it started to be far too short. So, he used it for many years. After him YoungLady started to use it. She too got it when it was too big for her and gave up when it gas getting far too short for her.

I received these iron-on patches as a gift from my dear friend. When I started to mend the old T-Rex bathrobe I remembered these.

At first I mend the ruptured part by zig-zag sewing machine stitch. I did it proper and many times up and down plus side-ways a bit here and there.

Then I had to choose which iron-on patch matches best. I chose the one that covers the zig-zag mending best. It happened to be this delicious pineapple. I didn't iron the patch over the fabric. I could have but I still would have needed to sew it because the patch would not have stayed long on the fluffy fabric only by the ironing. That's why I first used the straight stitch to sew it around and fasten it onto its place. Then I -again- used zig-zag stitch the make sure it stays forever.

The pineapple covers only just the zig zag mending; but enough. I could have used just zig-zag sewing, but it is a very old and used bath rope so I wanted to be sure everything lasts and is done well enough.

I didn't place the missing button yet. The bathrobe is still too big for my grandchild so I think it's easier to use with the open hem. Also, watching the pineapple iron-on patch might fascinate a toddler so it's easier to see it without the button sewn on.

I could have patched one more T-Rex footprint. And I would have done so if not having this another option. I could not resist to use these cute iron-on patches I was given as a gift. 

We've now completed one more FashionNOW action and T-Rex bathrobe continues its special life by amusing children after sauna up here in the north.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...