Monday 23 September 2024

Distaffs

In August and September 2024 I have been honored to receive some donations for myself and my work as a textile and fashion designer teacher. These wooden distaffs had been saved from ending up to be destroyed. They were already loaded on to go when someone noticed them and saved them. He had carried them with him in the meaning to give them forward to someone who understands the value of them. They are from his wife side family property. Now they hang on the wall of my house. They are very decorative and proof of a great artisan skill but they hang there on a place from where I can easily take them and use them. 

Distaffs are traditionally flat and very decorative in Finland. They were given as bridal gifts but made also during WW2 by soldiers who had a lot of time in war between Russia and Finland when securing their positions just by being on the front and waiting commands. They did woodcraft which they sent home to their wives, daughters and other female relatives. 

I had one distaff which my grandpa had made at war for my grandma but unfortunately one of my dogs ate it 25 years ago. Since that I've been looking for a new antique distaff. It has not been easy because they always must have a special story and connection to you. So, I am very happy now that a craftsman I met because of some other reason later wanted to donate these two distaffs to me and my use also at work. Many distaffs have been destroyed simply by burning them in the wood stoves in the past 40 years if they survived the WW2 times!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...