Monday 15 July 2024

RelaxingWhileWorking

I have been cutting more rags for rugs. When cutting or tearing the rags it loses microfibers. It might be quite dusty craft activity. That's why I like to do it over summer season outside. I mainly buy (have always bought) textiles and clothes made of natural fibers so it is natural microfibers that mainly come out. That's why I am not afraid of doing it outside and losing micro plastic into the nature.

I am on a summer leave and the weather has been excellent for washing rugs. I've already washed mine but have been taking my mom to wash hers. I could help her but washing the rugs is a good exercise for 70+ person and it is also a matter of pride. 

She used to cycle 10 km with her rugs and wash them and then cycle back with the wet rugs only to do it again on the next warm day. Now she accepts someone to take her by a car. I guess she is getting old, but not too old because I really don't dare to touch her rug washing project if not asked because otherwise it is an insult and old-shaming. 

(She has never had a driving licence and lived most of her life in a place where is not at all or no proper public transport. That is an achievement in the modern time arctic climate!)

On the pic above you can see me wearing my favorite summer pants. They are over 4 years old and I wear them quite a lot. I have even one tiny hole in the right knee. For the FashionNOW I am going to fix them when I get the right idea for that.

Washing rugs by the natural water is old tradition of which people are proud of. For better action for the planet something has changed in the tradition. The old traditional washing places are still in use but modernized. That means they have taken down the old piers and built the washing tables with several washing stations. Each station gets running water pumped up from the natural water (in this case from the river Kemijoki). Instead of leading it all back to the nature they have built drains and lead the water into municipal drain network. From there all the waste water faces cleaning process before ending back to the nature. 

Washing rugs is also a social activity where people gather to wash the rugs but to chat at the same time. It is a good place to meet local residents. So, meanwhile my mom has been doing proper physical activity for her health she has also taken care of her mental well being by seeing village people near and far. And I have enjoyed about the view while acting for the better future and FashionNOW and being creative. That makes good also to my own well being!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...