Wednesday 31 July 2024

EpicPoetryFIN

In 2024 I encourage you to read specific genres of literature. July 2024 theme is epic poetry.  For the challenge I decided to pick up epic poetry from Finland. Instead of choosing Kalevala of which J.R.R. Tokkien was inspired I decided to go deeper. That's why I chose Jouni Marjanen's book Suomen kansan jumalrunoja = Finnish national epic poetry. I think it is available only in Finnish. It is a collection of epic poetry presented by several respected poetry singers and written down by scientists. These epic poems are the original ones of which Elias Lönnrot complied Kalevala, which is available also in English. This is not my personal cultural epic poetry but it includes some descriptions of my nation; Sámi people. It is very interesting and also it includes many themes of which you can find out about how people used to live by then.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...