Thursday 11 July 2024

NewLife

For the 1st time in my life I visited Estonia and Tallinn in summer 2009. That was before I started this blog. In Tallinn I did only some shopping and one was to visit local Body Shop. From there I bought this fabric bag. Cotton fabric shopping bags are sustainable choice only if you use them A LOT. I have used this bag for 15 years and washed it several times. Now it found its way to store something I am up to...

In Forest Sámi culture the sustainable life style has always been one of the key points. In the modern times there was a period people were ashamed of it because of poor-shaming. Still it is something many Forest Sámi people hide from "outsiders". Because of poor-shaming. But here in my blog we all already know it is FashionNOW and there is nothing to be ashamed of. That's why I -again- show you what I have been collected. I have been collected old clothes. After the last use I have washed them and sorted out for the storage.

I have cut over 10 yrs old T-shirts and turtle neck polo shirts in pieces. You can do it yourself with the help of Rag -tutorial in my blog. In Forest Sámi (and many other) culture people recycled and upcycled everything possible. Old clothes were used as blankets and many other different ways. 

I have already woven one over 2 m long rag rug made of old linen. Dear Pii lives behind the loom and participates on weaving as the inspector general.

She thinks it is sleepy and boring and in her opinion I weave far too slow. I wonder how and earth she can sleep in that noise of banging. Anyway, we both are on a holiday and creativity actions and naps make so good on both of us mental health and recovery.

I have already started new rag rug where I use his old shirts. These rag rugs are going to be our veranda's new rugs for the coming winter. 

With the old pieces of clothes I use so called LP-yarn. It is made of 80% of recycled cotton and 20% of other fibers. It is made of yarns that form out loops. I use it to create warmth, softness and thickness for the rag rugs. It makes the rugs also to be a bit lighter and they don't get so heavy when getting wet when washing them by yourself.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...