Monday 29 July 2024

HarvestSeason

The growing season in Lapland, Finland is short. Officially it is 100-140 days because it is classified to  end in autumn when the mean daily temperature drops below 5°C. It starts from the moment when the grass begins to grow and you can sow the seeds. Growing season includes the long weeks you need to wait does it begin to grow or not. I always think if I can make it in 3-3½ months I could try it out. 

The growing season is challenging for many plants because we have the MidnightSun which all the plants (or flowers) can't stand. Many can adapt the cooler climate but most not the MindightSun because it means they get no darkness or rest hours during the day. And when the darkness begins to fall it happens fast and starts to cover the world like a blanket. 

Here where I live the harvest season begins with the berries in July. First we start to get the strawberries in the garden, then cloud berries in the wild swamps. The blue berries (my favorite) follow. Because we follow the traditional lifestyle the season is very busy to collect all the berries for the winter. During the winter time -what comes to the greens- we buy mainly potatoes, onions and bananas at the shop. 

We have also traditional common hop crowing in the garden. It's very beautiful and actually the only proper creeper plant that grows here successful year after year and reaches even 4 meters height over the growing season. 

When I was doing this a child asked if I was making weed, meaning d***s. My reply was: "Sort of." 😂 Every year I grow also nettle in my garden. It is, especially its seeds are, superfood. I take only the seeds for the nutrition. I mix max 5 ml as a daily portion into my gluten free bread to get enough FE (iron) and other vitamins to my challenging diet. Like I do with the fireweed. Both nettle and fireweed are nutritious greens for a diet but also good plants for natural dyes. 

I've picked up also tansy blossoms (Tanacetum vulgare). Tansy is an excellent plant for natural dyes to get yellow color. 

This summer I collect natural dyes also for my students for the coming season classes. That´s why I dry them for the further use. Did you know that fresh full blooming tansy scents like chamomile? You can use it also for sachets.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...