Saturday 23 May 2020

Little Pii

Nuka has got a little sister! Watching the adorable puppy and playing with her gives Nuka an excellent brain work. Nuka has been a great help training the puppy. She watches and listens what I want the puppy to do and helps me out out if she sees she can do it better or for me. She -for example- encourages and even herds the puppy. She also defends her from the neighbor's cat. She pounced like a lightning between the cat and puppy when she saw the cat coming too close. đź’—

Of course Nuka's bones are the more tasty ones but Nuka is kind and understanding with her. Especially when I take care of Nuka gets the best bits and all that I know she likes. It is not necessary to let her to have it first what comes to the treats and dog training. She knows the word "wait" and its meaning. She sees and understands what the puppy gets and what she gets. The puppy understands it too. That's why it is not necessary to give it all first to the pack leader. In the wild nature the leaders' job is to make sure the heirs are taken care of -it is just a simple fact of evolution. If the older dog is considered as upper to the puppy it doesn't matter if it is not the 1st one always. They do know what we think!

When I need to feed the puppy or give her bones or toys I always tell Nuka to wait and she knows she gets her award; sometimes it is a dog treat (she hates puppy food because she ain't no puppy at all) or just cuddling or what ever I know she prefers in that situation. It might be even to be closed up in her 3 x 3 m dog fence in the garden where the puppy can't get (there are Nuka's big dog bones which are left over bits from the wild game). To get it all to go just fine we humans need to make sure we are equal and fair to the older dog.

Who is the puppy? She is Alaskan Malamute and her name is Nöhverön Pondora-Pii. Just Pii to all her friends.

How she got her name? Well, "Nöhverön" is her dog breeder's kennel name. This litter is the litter "P" so the name must start with the letter "P". The breeder gave the name "Pondora" and we the name "Pii".

Why on earth we wanted to name her as "Pii"? We had few other names in mind but when YoungLady was solving out her home school math mysteries she suddenly shout from another room to me: "It's Pii! The name of the puppy is Pii!" Now I need to tell you that Finnish word "pii" is "pi" in English. "Pi" has also other meanings. In Finnish "pii" also means the flint, a stone you need to light up a fire. In our family it also means few other things. It makes us to remember MrW who studies math. When we play together as a family and need to calculate the scores we use our initials: I am "T", he is "M", MrW is "W" and YoungLady is "TT". When you look YoungLady's initials it turns out to seem like the symbol of "pi" which happens to be " Ď€ ".  The final approval from me to YoungLady's name suggestion was the fact that all the dogs we have or have had has got the name with the literature connection. I am sure you have heard about Yann Martel's story Life of Pi. I read it on my CreteDream holiday but also blogged about it in my ReadingChallenge 2017.

Despite Pi is a boy in the book it is an unisex name with many meanings. Our Alaskan Malamute is just a tiny puppy and we don't know what she will turn out. I know that what ever she'll be this name will have the meaningful connection to it.

If you are interested about my methods in dog training and dog life stories read more if you are a mobile user and choose the label "dog".
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...