Monday 22 February 2016

KnittingNeedleCase -tutorial

Do you remember that on January the 7th I was still Feeling Xmas?

I'm in a craft challenge where you will do something self and hand made on 2016 to your friends who are in the challenge with you. On January the 11th I told this is going to be something for DearJ. 

This project really turn out to be a bit challenge because MyDearHelga refused to sew this to the final end. The start went fine. We had no troubles at all. But at the end it turn out disaster and too thick for her sensitive soul. Hmpf!

This is a tutorial but there are no exact measures for sewing. This is an idea of it all what you can do to make your own KnittingNeedleCase.

I used felt, fabric and cotton wool.

I used white felt as lining to protect the back side of stitching. I turned the seam allowance on the right side to make it look pretty.

I used red quilting as decoration on grey felt.

The fabric I used is cotton and designed for quilting.

Cotton wool is pretty thin and I placed it between the felt and fabric to make the case to be more protective for the needles and hooks.

The stitched part forms the pockets for the needles and hooks. So there is actually 2 layers of fabric between which is the cotton wool. And then there is on the top this stitched part.

I stitched the middle part of the fabrics together. That seam forms out a fold like a book.

I stitched the smaller pockets for needles and hooks. Again; through it all.

I also folded a flap of grey fabric to keep the needles and hooks in their pockets.

Here you can see how I stitched the pockets through it all so it can be seen on the other side too.

I sew the bias tapes in the way that they can be used as fastening system with bows.

The stitching for the pockets and sewing the bias tape were the parts my sewing machine refused to sew as too thick. I was a bit disappointed. But at the end I accepted this fact and went to my mother-in-law. She has ancient proper old fashion sewing machine which is made of real steel and eats any kind of fabric; even real fur and leather... Oh those good old times!

Here it is; for DearJ. She will get it on the next weekend!

It is for all year-round use despite it reminds us all about winter and Xmas. I know she knits a lot also for Xmas so hopefully this reminds her about it that we all who receive her pretty hand made gifts by Christmas time think her with warm all year-round!

The cross stitching is designed by Fiona Crouch
for CrossStitcher magazine issue 273 year 2013
Christmas Tags kit was a free gift with the magazine

I designed the KnittingNeedleCase. Hope this tutorial helps you to have an idea how you could make yours.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...