Wednesday 5 March 2014

Naughty me

Today I was very extremely naughty. If you look at the picture above you may notice what I mean. I wrote on a pages of a book!!!! This is Lucinda Ganderton's Stitch Dictionary which I bought from ebay some time ago. Yesterday I was at the library and found (again) the Finnish version of it. I borrowed it once again. I wrote the Finnish names of the stitches on the book. I did it to avoid confusion and to make my job easier. Now I don't need to seek matching names anymore. It's all written down there. :) The book of our library I will return as neat as I borrowed it. From now on I will be holding it less.

This book above is my project from the art college times. It was dated on 1997. In Finland we don't have very strong embroidery culture. If you want to make something else than the basic stitches you really need to investigate how to do it. The situation is better now on 2014 but not as much has happen as it could have. I use internet and English sources a lot. Basic things are in Finnish but there's a lot I know only in English. In my native language there still is not names for everything what comes to stitching and ebroidering; materials, methods and features still have unknown untranslated terms.

On 1997 at the art college we were allowed to pick up a theme which we wanted to investigate and learn. Nobody else but me wanted to do it all about stitching. My aim was to make a guide book for myself about the different stitches, learn them and -in future- to be easier to use them again. I collected the information from many sources. Internet was not that common yet and there was hardly nothing on it about it in Finnish. It was hard to find the information but at the end the book was finished and so useful. I have been using it a lot and some of my friends have borrowed it. It includes two books -the samples and instructions. Despite I now have Lucinda's book I still find this project work useful.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...