Sunday 21 August 2016

StarQuilt -tutorial (part4)

About a month ago I showed you how to make StarQuilt. At tutorial (part1) you learnt to draw the pattern and cut it all. At tutorial (part2) it was time to sew it all up. At tutorial (part3) I showed how to connect all the blocks together. Now it has came time to turn it all to be a padded blanket.

You need cotton wool for this; to make it all to become a padded blanket. If you need to connect some pieces together at any point, see the picture above to find out how to make the seam to be flat.

Use your connected blocks as patterns to cut the cotton wool and backside fabric. Here is block for hand part of my massage table so it needs to be small.

Fasten the cotton wool to the patchwork by sewing according to the star edges.

IF you are making just a normal patchwork quilt these blue notes are for you:

After connecting the front side fabric to the cotton wool cut the back side fabric. Then place the patchwork and backside fabrics against each others so that their fronts sides face each others. Sew the edge seams as the picture above shows. Leave 30-40 cm wide "hole" without sewing. Then turn the blanket's front side out through this hole.

When the quilt is turned up to right way make sure its corners are tidy. You can pin them to stay there where they should. Then close the hole by tiny invisible hand stitching. When the hole is closed up, pin all the edges to keep up their form. Sew the hem around approx 3-5 cm far away from the edge.

NOTICE: If your quilt is big, you can attach the backside to the front side by some decorate stitching here and there at this point.

Ta-dah! You just finished it!

BUT IF you make a massage table cover like I needed to do follow these instructions.

After fastening the cotton wool to the patchwork cut the back side fabric and fasten it to the front side and cotton wool fabrics like this. Here we don't turn anything upside down etc.

Cut and sew the side parts of the cover. If you are doing the massage table cover you know what I mean. (Unless you don't: the patchwork quilt is just as big as the levels of your table. You need the side parts to make it all to reach up under the table to get it fastened up.)

There is cotton wool between the front and back sides of the side parts. You need to sew a passageway for the elastic drawstring so remember to leave 2 cm hole to be able to get it through.

Place the elastic drawstring on its passageway. Safety pin is useful when doing it. Usually 2/3 is the right length of the elastic drawstring; if you wonder how much you need it. I had a lot of it (over 50 meters)  so I just took it as much as I evaluated it looked right and then cut it and made a knot with the other end.

After placing the elastic drawstring pin the other edge of the side part and sew it all together like on the picture.

Then pin the side and original patchwork together. Here is again the hand part cover of my massage table only to show it more clear in one pic. Then sew it all up and turn the sides out. Now you are finished with it.

To make the side hand cover parts to stay better there where they should; I did it in this way. I made just plain parts. To the edges I fastened the elastic drawstring like this. I know it is black but as I told; I have over 50 m of it so that's why it's black. :)

I know my massage table looks just fine without this cover because we re-upholstered it when I got it. But I really needed a padded cover for it because of TheCat. She loves MyMassageTable... Well, who would not???

But the table has faux leather upholstering. It doesn't resist cat's purring claws any better than real leather. So, all the time I must have hide the massage table under a thick rug when it has not been in use to avoid the damages on it.

Now it finally has my own design brand new padded cover that doesn't mind about purring cat. And we all are happy! So is the nature; old used massage table got a new life by re-upholstering and new cover to protect it made of old curtains and sheets. I can only image how much nature resources would have been wasted if this massage table had ended up to dumping ground and I had bought brand new massage table. Not to mention how much more it have costed me. For the cover I needed to buy only the cotton wool which cost approx 26€.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...