Monday 7 October 2024

Hilja

Two weeks ago we drove to Salla, Finland. From there I drive to Kuusamo Finland with a friend and visited a very nice lady. We were there to do some volunteer work for our siida (Sámi community & village). At one point we talked about it how people throw away and destroy old items which have at least a cultural heritage value. The conversation went to the point where I mentioned old skills like spinning and wheel spindles. That's how I faced a question "Do you want a wheel spindle? Do you need one?" My respond was: "Well, not actually, I used to have antique one but later gave it away and bought a new modern one." I also asked what she and her husband meant. And they meant this: The old wheel spindle of the lady's mother was given away 40 years ago by her mom. 12 months ago it had returned in a huge box back to them. It had been 12 months in the box (they had not opened it) in their cottage because hey didn't know where to put it or what to do with it. You can guess my mind got curious at this point. So, we drove to the cottage, found a huge box and it was filled with polystyrene foam. We dig it with our hands and finally found this beauty inside. We packed it into the car and drove back to Salla.

I had warned Him about that I was donated an antique wheel spindle and hopefully we can fit it into his car with the dogs and our bags. Otherwise I will drive back alone some day to get her home. But he was able to fit it all in and we all arrived home together, safe and sound. At home we opened the wrapping. She was quite ok but not in the condition you could spin right away.

She has faced a total cleaning and oiling plus some fixing already to her pedal so that you can spin with her. Next summer she will face more preparing when you can do it outside. 

She is very shy and such a good girl. After a week she whispered her name is Hilja (it means something like silence). Last night we were able to spin together. She is a kind girl, a bit excited about it what I do but works very well. She is my girl and is happy to have her new sister and friend Liinu in her new home. Hilja will follow me and Liinu to work when ever needed.

I started to spun merino wool with her which I had dyed by Cinnamon Webcap (Cortinarius cinnamomeus). It all goes on just fine.đź’š

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...