Sunday 4 August 2024

MissMyTeacher

Today I took my bobbin lace base out off my hobby bag. This is the back side of the base. The fabric cover is a thin jersey fabric that is a left over material from my sport shirt project in 2015. 😅 The pattern of the cover is just a round circle and has an elastic band to make it a sheet like cover which I can easily take off and wash.

I miss my bobbin lace teacher and hope the notes she gave me and the words I wrote were good and rationale enough to guide me through my first ever table cloth bobbin lace project with corners and turns.

I made the arch of the edge on the course. The course end in April. For the next I needed to make the heart (orange arrow) and spider (red arrow)... on my own all alone. The first half of the heart was easy but with the spider I needed to think for a moment.

The instructions were simple and good so I managed to finish the spider quite easy. Which of course lead to the fact that I made a mistake in easier heart at its end half. I noticed I had made a mistake only when finishing it (4 orange arrows) because I had not enough bobbins left. That lead to the point about which I always remind my own students: you can make it only if you can fix it. 

So, I took all my patience out off my hobby back and stared to see if I can first find the mistake, then unravel it and at the end to do it again without a mistake. I managed to find the mistake and unravel the lace to get into the mistake point. I took these pics especially for all of you to show we all make mistakes and it is ok. Making mistakes is actually something I want my students to do when they start to learn new skills. You can learn so much and quite fast from the mistakes. If it is not up to life and death, the mistakes should be accepted and given the educational value they are about. Also, understanding it and doing so is good for mental health. 

Yeppee! Here it is done again. It is better that the 1st one because its done twice!!! 😂 I am proud of myself. I missed my teacher but am happy I learnt it all and still hear her words in my mind about learning to make bobbin lace.

This is where I park it for tonight to wait the next moment to make the next arch of the edge. The Finnfoam base is excellent and chap option for making bobbin lace. Anything into which you can put pins does just fine... as long as it is thicker than the needles are high... If you use a base like this you don't need to buy an expensive bobbin lace making pillow. And on a base like this it is easier to make table cloths and things like that which need wider area. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...