Saturday 29 June 2024

Kyellejääyri määccuk

The time has arrived to show you my Sámi costume. This is almost 2 years old picture. I am there with my mom celebrating YuleTide and her birthday. We wear Kyellejääyri määccuk and that means it is Kuolajärvi Sámi costume. For me personally it is quite difficult to call it Kuolajärvi Sámi costume. Kyellejääyri is called Kuolajärvi in Finnish and other languages today. According to its original Sámi language meaning Kuolajärvi should be called Kalajärvi which means Fishlake. Kuolajärvi means Spittle lake and it has a whisper of death in it too. The false name translation is one proof of colonialism and how we were taken our own language. To me it will always be Fishlake Sámi costume where the blue stands for the water, red for the fire, yellow for the sun and green for the forest, ground, soil, Mother Earth...

Next Forest Sámi Expo will be in Kittilä, Lapland, Finland in 5.-7.7.2024. I missed last year but this year I will go with my mom and have prepared an interesting 30 min lecture about costume history, lace and Forest Sámi female hats. I will have the presentation at 3 pm 6.7.2024 in Kittilä. If around, you all are welcome to find more about Forest Sámi people. Just ask, we are happy to tell.💚

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...