Thursday 13 June 2024

FashionNOW

In April I received my new ID card for a voyage to be able to travel for education aboard. I have been in Dublin, Ireland. I participated in "Environmental education: Learning and acting for a better future". It all is funded by Erasmus+ project and a part of my work. 

Because of my Sámi culture environmental issues have always been part of my life despite they had different words for the same meanings. At my early teens I became aware of environmental issues and animal rights in a global way. Meanwhile the others kissed on the school yard I taped posters on the school walls to protest against the animal testing. We -I say we, because I was not alone, perhaps some of you my dear readers were with me- have come a long journey after that. Today it is clear to everyone it is not ok to make animal testing for cosmetics and other vain purposes. 

Fashion business is one of the biggest polluter on The Planet Earth. I have been in fashion business since my late teens. I hate to call myself a fashion designer. I have used the term "textile and cloth designer" because I have not liked to call myself as a fashion designer which I actually am; in textiles and clothing. I have always been aware of the sustainability because it was the culture I was raised in.  Later in my life I have learnt and studied more. That's why I chose my path towards becoming also a teacher. Now I was in this education to update my knowledge and learn even more. 

In this education in Dublin we needed to think one change we are able and going to make in our own lives to make a change. There are so many things I have already done and changed, and hold on. First, I considered practical things by which I could live even more eco-friendly. But, at the end of the education I realized I will change me. Me in the way that be proud of it that I am a fashion designer and launch a new trend and it is:

FashionNOW 

-no overconsumption world


We have been waiting for so long the governments and politicians to make the solutions. We ask them to change the legislation and trade rules. But actually we don't need them for this. We need us: me and you. It is the money that talks so lets it talk. Let's make the change by our choices. We can't escape the responsibility and put the others in the charge of this. It is me and you who shop -buy things. We -me and you- have the power that this change needs. We decide what we buy. And the most important thing is that if it doesn't satisfy us we don't need to buy it.

Lets make out of fashion the fast fashion! 
It is personal but kind and educative activism we need.

On the pic above I wear "my daily style". The pants are at least 8 years old jeans. I bought this pair in a local super market by 20€. The cotton knitwear is 3+6 years old. 3+6 because I have had it at least for 3 years and my son MrW had it first for about 6 years. For him we bought it at local fashion shop for teens and young adults. The shoes are new but I received them from my mom who had bought new shoes but it turn out her old feet hate the shoes. I tested the shoes and my feet think they are ok so I use them now. I needed new pair because my old one really need to go away now. I have just washed these new shoes after the Dublin journey and they look brand new again. The bag I have is fashionable Marimekko trademark. It is 19 years old. The black shade has faded but I don't care. It is a proper and practical bag I received as a gift long time ago. So, this is me and my style. Can you wear the same? Do you dare to wear the same?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...