Thursday 18 July 2019

CreteDream (part18)

On 2017 I told you about a local Tavern Zorbas in Pigi. Now, after two years, we went back and I was happy to see there was two new taverns nearby. These two taverns are worth of visiting also from far. Of course all the portions are not gluten free but coeliacs won't stay hungry nor be turn away.

I absolutely fell in love with The Leaky Cauldron tavern. The staff speaks good English. The best thing is that the chef is professional and he understood the meaning of coeliac disease and gluten free diet when I shoved him the info leaflet about it. I didn't need to explain or excuse. I didn't feel like being a trouble but I felt like being a customer! We had dinner there for many times during our holiday.

Another good experience was Paprika.  This was another perfect tavern to eat well and gluten free. I have nothing but good to say about this place either.

PS. Crete is well known about its healthy diet and a bit obsessed people to its food. My travels on the island have only proved, that they are not negatively obsessed on their food. If you have a special diet, they all are only happy to find something you can eat. Coeliac disease is quite unknown in Greece and Crete. When I show my info leaflet translated to Greek and explain I am sick, not a picky one, they are very friendly and understand how important thing it is to avoid gluten. Even in Scandinavia I am sometimes turned away from the restaurants and cafes. But in Crete, in family taverns, they even invite me into the kitchen to show how they make my food that it is safe for me to eat. My recommendation for all travelling with coeliac disease in Crete is to favor family taverns and be honest with your trouble, they will feed you safe and sound. đź’™


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...