Saturday 10 August 2013

Felting trivet

When you hear the word trivet and felting you might think how on earth one can felt it. But anyone who has worked with yarns knows it is possible. I made this small project inspired by a day trip to city where I found a yarn shop with idea to make a small gift of it to my friend B. who is going to have a birthday and who hopefully is not around at the moment. She knows I love tea. And hopefully when ever she is having a cup of those special teas she has in her world, she feels like sharing a chat and cup with me when she opens the letter and dives into my world. :)

I must confess that the yarn shop in the city was a dissapointment to me. It was a part of those stores which have a yarn shop in every bigger city. It's selection was not satisfying. They were missing special yarns if they were not the hottest trend. The saleswomen were not the ones with obsessions and experiences. And definately they were selling products because of the money- not because of the fact they could not imagine doing anything else for their living. And that's why I reveal my greatest secrit what comes bying yarns. In Kemi yarnshop called Pieni Lankapuoti is worth of visit even you'd come from far away. Every craft lover tourist should visit it. And if you want to make a day trip, Kemi is worth of considering even you would not find anything else but Pieni Lankapuoti from there. The prices are not killing even it is a small special shop in a tiny town and definately the owners are willing to serve, suggest, seek and guide. And for sure you fine basic collection but gems too. :)

This trivet is my own design and made by crocheting and felting. Depending on the yarn and felting process the product shrinks something from 0% to 60%. I used 100g of Marks & Kattens Samo Palett 100% wool yarn (shade 592). The yarn has many shades of blue so it was easy to work on without changin the shade and it all formed out a nice spiral figure when worked in this way. This yarn is not spun so its structure is loose without any twist.

At first I crocheted the trivet and then felt it in the washing machine using normal 60 Celsius degree wash with 1000 spin-dry rounds per minute during the washing programm. The work shrunk about 50% (I forgot to measure). I took the wet trivet out from the machine, re-formed it immediately when it still was wet and let it get dry on flat surface. If you use machine felting it might feel scary to use such a hard programm but you can start with gentle one and if that doesn't bring you the wanted result you can always re-felt the project.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...