Saturday 3 August 2013

By the treasure box

There is few fabulous dreams for a craft maker. You get boxes full of interesting materials. Or you get boxes full off chocolate. Or you get boxes filled with both. Unfortunately I have never faced such a box which includes both. Still I feel I can't complain.

My grandmother was an artist. She mainly painted but did other projects too. When I was a child my dearest memories about her lead me to the moment when she allowed me to go with her in drawing lessons. I was the only child in the class. Nude figure drawing were interesting courses even I was just 8 years old kid when started. That didn't embarras me because I was so fascinated with papers, charcoals and drawing itself. Hours just vanished and I always felt the lessons ended too early even it was almost a night time.

So, my grandmother showed me the way to drawing skills. Later when studying cloth designing these early nude figure drawing lessons proved their importance. But she taught me something else too. She taught me how to make Tiffany Glass Works. And she promised while teaching me that when she'll be gone I can have her Tiffany Glass Work machines and materials and everything which has something to do with it.

My granny passed away few years ago. Last summer I got first pack of glasses. This week I got a phone call from my mother who told she had finally found more. Yesterday we went to pick them up and today I had time to sort it all out. There was again huge collection of different kind and coloured glasses, machine and some other equipment. It was like diving into a treasure chamber when going through these boxes. It seems she wasted huge collection of money to these materials but some day in the future I will use them all by continuing her work.

I inherit my artistic skills from her so what else can I ask. This material heritage feels far too much but she wanted me to have it.

I must tell you she always gave me just the basic information but never told me what to do with the perspectives, shades, feelings etc. She said I must dig it all up from me. Whith this Tiffany Glass Work she pointed up a part of her material collection and told me I can use it -no other guidance. She was surprised but satisfied with the result. I was too -and still am.

The most important lesson she gave was -try on. And I do. Being crative and artistic is not being perfect. We all do mistakes. At the end it all is up to the fact who repairs or amends it best. :)

This is my first ever Tiffany Glass Work which I did on 1998-2000, I can't remember. Before this I made only one small study work which unfortunately broke up few years ago. (Now I have found the pattern so I can make new one on some day.) I don't know the designer of the original project conisdering this boat and sea theme. I got the pattern from my grandmother. There was no colours, just black-and-white design. I picked up the shades and types of the glass from my granny's collection and ended up to use them in this way. This was a school project at the art college by then.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...