Monday, 31 August 2026

The Reading Challenge 2026 - Part 4

In August 2026 I've read two books in English. These ones are quite untypical for me to buy for myself. Still, they are very useful, practical, educative and  great souvenirs from your journeys and can take you back there where you were time ago.

Bernard Meehan's The Book of Kells -Official Guide (in English, mine) is a great book about the famous book. It provides excellent illustration, explanations and information about this historical object. We went to see The Book of Kells at Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland in June 2024. It was great to see that place and the book itself, even the library was under the renovation. I bought this book as a souvenir because you can't actually touch the original book, not to mention investigate it by your own hands. I usually don't buy this kind of guide books but in this case I think it is the only way to get to see The Book better. And investigate at least some pages of it. In August 2026 I finally read the whole book and paid a special attention on its illustration and refreshed my memories about Ireland and its history. Nice way to travel back there again in my memories.

Valerie Ryan's The Story of Russborough House (in English, mine) was another untypical book I bought on my journey to Dublin, Ireland in 2024. Back then I visited the place, and now I returned by the book. Unfortunately I noticed my copy was missing 4 pages of 35!!!! And the last sentences of the book revealed that I must live much longer to find out what's written in the Alfred Beit diaries. They must have something connected to Queen Elizabeth II.