Saturday 9 March 2024

GardeningSpring

It is spring! Indeed it is. My spring may look a bit different than yours. But it is there: the spring. I can see it in many ways. I can experience it all the time. Today we made a spring cleaning in the green house. The snow and ice has melted enough so we were able to open the door and get in.

The black berry is alive! We bought and planted it on 2021 in our greenhouse. It has never been covered over the winter but has Finnfoam insulation like all the other wooden beds. So far it has not produced one single berry but I hope soon it will. It takes a bit time -more than usual- of plants to adapt and accept the new colder location & climate. This year it seems the blackberry needs at least 3 years of time. Later we'll see, is 3 years enough for producing berries.

I bought and planted the grapevine Zilga also in 2021. We had a setback in Her first ever winter 2021-2022. And I still am very sorry for it. For my defense I must say autumn and winter 2021 was very hard. Zilga seems to understand it and survived after a great patience. Everything else except a piece of her root had frozen. In the winter 2022-2023 and 2023-2024 we have remembered to cover her by Finnfill and it has helped a lot. She was still late last spring but seems to be alive and waking up already now. I expect her producing grapes never because of the arctic location and non-heated green house. But hope some day her leaves will grow plenty and big enough so that we can use some for cooking.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...