Tuesday 8 February 2011

Valentine's Day

In my country Valentine's Day celebration is more up to friendship than lovers. I wanted to remember my childhood friend with a special gift. She likes reading too and it's a too long time since I stitched anything for her. I was going through my old craft books and ended up to a traditional design which hopefully reminds her about her roots far away and Northern Star, sparkling blue winter days, blink of the sun light somewhere behind the horizon and not to forget how fun and innocent we had on those days skating around, skiing and playing in the snow. And at the end we always had beautiful red cheeks like a Christmas apple which you desire to bite a bit!

The idea for this bookmark I got from Mary Olki's handicraft book Mary Oljen Kauneimmat Käsityöt. The stars are from the book, pages 224-225. Mary Olki has described a traditional table cloth design. The stars fit perfectly to a bookmark too. I added touch of glamour with beads and different colours which cause perhaps a tiny wind blow of Native American spirit.

For this project I used only left over materials and loose end threads. If you don't have any threads at all and need to make a small budget project, try out the thread that includes many shades of colours (I used such a thread in the yellow cross stitch framing around the bookmark). Pick up easy and clear design that is ok to stitch with one shade. You get beautiful out fit by using the thread in which the shades vary from light to dark. And you need to afford only one skein. ;)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...