Sunday 30 January 2011

BlueBerryPie & VanillaCream PotHolder -tutorial

I got an idea for a gift which I am going to take to the relatives! Pot holders is something you always need. When I was at a fabric shop I crashed at beautiful blueperry figured fabric. I knew this was it what I was seeking out. :) At the end -without meaning- it all turned out to remind me of blueberry pie and vanilla cream. My own design.

It is easy to make a pot holder. And fast -if you are not going to do any huge embroidery project to it. If you want some decoration to it you can simpy do some decoration stitching. One way is to square a paper. I used the ruler to easy squaring. I didn't measure, just used the ruler as a stick to make smaller squares. It took only few minutes to make a squared paper to help sewing. I didn't need to buy ready squared pattern paper. :)

Then I placed the squared paper over the fabric. At this point I had already cut off from the fabric the exact size of the patterns the pot holders were going to be. It saves time, nerves, paper, fabric, thread etc. Then I used sewing machine to stitching. At the end I tore gently the paper out. When you use long stitch length it's easier to tear the paper away. But if you try this out you must have an attitude to do it gentle to avoid the thread to be broken. You sould also be ready to use tweezers to get the smallest pieces of paper away.

The blue berry fabric is new. If you seek a pretty special figured fabric you should go through the patch work fabrics at your fabric shop. They do cost more than one coloured basic cotton fabric, but at the end you need small mount of fabric to a pot holder so the total cost won't rise too high. Using one coloured basic cotton fabric is a good choise too -you can use many colours or do some embroidery.

The background fabric of these pot holders is old but unused despite it is recycled left over material which consits of 100% sheep wool. I have bought it years ago from Swedish army store outlet shop. (You should follow boys everywhere, you can find treasures!) At the fabric shops there's special fabrics for sale to be used in pot holders and other products that face heath. But sheep wool is a good choise too. Because it is a natural fibre it stands extremely well heath. And when you place extra cottonwool between the fabrics you can be sure the pot holders won't be too thin.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...