Friday, 31 July 2026

The Reading Challenge 2026 - Part 3

This year in July I've read 1 novel and 2 two nonfiction books. They are all mine. The nonfiction books I've received as a gift.

Victoria Hislop's The Island has been on my "want to read" list for a long time. It was published in 2005. I read my own copy in Finnish. Despite it tells quite a hard story about Hansen's disease (leprosy) and the history of Spinalonga, Crete, it is a very beautiful book. This is for you who want to read a warm spirited Mediterranean story without murders but with hope and history.

Simo Örmä & Kaj Sandberg (Institutum Romanum Finlandiae) 's publication Villa Lante (in Finnish, mine).   This small publication introduces Roman villa Villa Lante where Young Lady spent some time during her studies. It was published in 2007 but is still valid and makes you want to travel to Rome and see the villa by your own eyes.

Giorgio Bonsanti's Caravaggio The Great Master of Art  (In English, mine). This book was published in 2014. It tells interesting history and facts about Caravaggio's life and work. The book has perfect quality printed pictures about his master pieces. It's bee a long time since I read this kind of art book. It was a pleasure and a great way to get familiar with Caravaggio.