Monday 6 February 2023

Adult Luuhka

Happy National Sami Day


Luuhka is a part of Sámi clothing. Old fashion Forest Sámi luuhka doesn't include the hood. In modern times people wish it to have one. When it is in the pattern, it is easy just to include or exclude it. That's why I drawn it into the pattern. 

On 2022 I made Baby Luuhka. Now I made Forest Sámi luuhka for adults. I made the pattern for Forest Sámi luuhka for adults based on old pictures and unusable & dysfunctional pattern. So far I have not have a change to drawn the pattern straight from an old and used luuhka.

I actually made two adult luuhkas in two different sizes. From the decoration you can point out the region Kuolajärvi siida and the gender of the owner. I didn't include the hood for my luuhka so that one is for a female. My luuhka is still missing the cord of the collar. It is not necessary but I want one. Not sure yet will it be made of leather or wool. His luuhka has the hood and it is big enough to wear over even a fur hat. You can point that out in the first pic.

For both luuhka I used pretty but mass produced bauble buckles because these might be worn also not in so official occasions in daily use. Won't be crying my eyes out of my head if missing one silver brooch in wilderness.

***

There will be a course (me teaching) where we learn to make also these Forest Sámi luuhkas. It is in August 2023 and is called Kuolajärven saamenpuku. By clicking the course name it leads you to the info site where you can book yourself in.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...