Wednesday 27 May 2015

Bunting -tutorial

 I know in Finland bunting is not such a common way to decorate your home, garden, public or private streets or any occasion. But it doesn't have to mean that it is banned. It is just something Finnis just don't do. 

But I did. For our special celebration; high school graduation. Usually people buy flower ampels and hang them all around. Which is very pretty indeed at this time of the year when our gardens are still bare and almost nacked. Crocus, narcissus and tulips may be just in time at the end of May; but really, you can not count on them. 

That's why I did WreathNo1. And that's why I made this bunting. I want flowers around but in a different way. The idea for the bunting I got from the pictures of my English friends. And DearM. from TheFarm kindly explaned all about the bunting to me (thank you my darling) and helped a lot with her information in my inspiration and designing process.

This is some kind of recycled bunting. See, the rose fabric I used is very old English Laura Ashley design. At early 90's I bought this fabric to sew curtains for my bedroom. It was excessive expencive and demanded all my savings. But it was a rare fabric by the arctic circle on that time. I never considered myself as a romantic girl but this print out just enchanted me and I ended up counting my pennies if I only could afford full length curtains. I still remember those bad thoughts of that fabric shop owner who did not gave me -poor high school student- any penny discount, not single one. I bought a lot from her shop when she had it and she always was so sour. I am happy to tell she had to give up the shop long long time ago. 

But still I have this adorable fabric. It would have been heart breaking to throw it away. It has faults the sun has made. But still it lives here with me. And now it has become the time to transform it to something else. It is Mr.W's high school graduation time. It feels more than meaning to use this fabric I bought as high school student to crate decoration for my son's high school graduation celebration.

So, here it is all for you!

You need fabric, felt, plastic or perhaps paper. What ever you desire to use. Notice the place, weather and material connection. No paper in the rain etc. Drawing the pattern is easy. Just as big or small you desire.

I used green felt and cotton fabric. The fabric is thin so I used it as two sided.

I placed the front sides of the fabric at each others. Then I sew the side edges. Then I turned "frontside out" so that the seam allowances were be hidden inside; between the fabrics and their back sides. Then I ironed them all.

 I used seaming machine to close out the moth of the triangle and stitched it to the back side so that there will be passageway for a twine to go through.

 I decorated the green flags with recycled buttons. These are left over buttons from my art school student times at 90's.

 These are rcycled buttons from mother-in-law.

 I place one of the buntings under a dream. Some day; like my dear friend B. recommends, I will go and see New York alive.

 Here you can see how the twine goes.

I didn't stitch the twine to the flags because I want the flags to be movable. But it is not banned to do so. If you think your flags need to be fastened to the twine just do so. No problem.

This is my own design, but easy to do by anyone.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...