Saturday 13 January 2018

The 2017 Reading Challenge

Since 2013 I have started to keep record of it what I have read because I found  BookDiary from a secondhand shop. I have always loved reading. After having children I felt I had no time to read as much as I wanted. Starting from 2013 my aim has been to read at least 12 books every year. I would love to be able to read 52 books every year but that is not possible. So 12 books -one for each month- it is a great compromise. I read 10 on 2013, 7 on 2014, 20 on 2015, 20 (12 for the challenge) on 2016 and 17 + extras on 2017.

Since 2016 I have taken you in with my ReadingChallenges. From the reading challenge on 2016 I found inspiration for the challenge 2017 to read only the books I already own but have not read them. Now we see how the challenge for the year 2017 has worked.

* * *

On 2017 I have read:

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K.Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany (in English, not mine actually but a book which YoungLady got from SantaClaus on Christmas 2016 so it was in MyLibrary anyway)

Vanishing World: The Endangered Arctic by Mireille de la Lez and Fredrik Granath (in Finnish, mine, bought it on a book sale by 5€ years ago but never had time to concentrate on its beautiful pictures before this, I actually picked it up several times during the past years but was always interrupted, now I tried three times until managed!!!)

Longbourn by Jo Baker (in Finnish, looked forward this so much and was so so disappointed)

Natural Horsemanship by Peer Werner Vogel (in Finnish, this was my sister's book actually, I read this and several other horse books which were mine to update and learn more)

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - Newt Scamander by J.K. Rowling (in Finnish, YoungLady borrowed this from the library and I just had to read it)

Disa Hannuntytär and Kaarnatuuli by Finnish author Kristiina Vuori (both in Finnish, pretty educative historical novels)

Life of Pi by Yann Martel (in Finnish on our Cretan holiday, borrowed by a friend to me)

Complete collection book about Arsène Lupin by Maurice Leblanc (in Finnish, I really recommend these stories also for older kids and teenagers, this was actually recommended to me by YoungLady, not much blood and body parts but good old detective stories from a bit different aspect)

Taivaslaulu by Finnish author Pauliina Rauhala (in Finnish, not mine, borrowed it from the local library because it has been on my "to read" list, it's been a big local news because she lives just 100 km south from my town and been on the theater stage too as a play)

Kaikki ranteet auki, Kukkiva syyspervo ruukussa  and Kivaan kipuun by Finnish author and journalist Miska Rantanen (in Finnish, not mine, borrowed from the local library to amuse myself but these books have been on my "to read" list for a long time, they are about the literature's excellent moments with all those mistakes you should not make when putting up an advert or any official text... very amusing I must tell)

Pat of the Silver Bush by L.M.Montgomery (in Finnish, not mine, borrowed it from the local library, such a lovely story for us adults too)

Come Back, Como by Steven Winn (in English, a dear friend gave this to me because she knew I will love it and she was right; for the first time I found myself talking to the author, nagging at him and advising him and at the end heard me to say "there you go, see, I told you" ☺ )

The Girl With Seven Names: A North Korean Defector's Story by Hyeonseo Lee (in Finnish, really educative and informative book without any preaching or heated on ideology to any aspect, she has been able to tell her story very objective, I recommend this to all to learn more about Korean people and the other nations on the area)

The Blind Man's Garden by Nadeem Aslam (in Finnish, despite it tells about the war it was not too masculine)

So, here's all 17 of the year 2017 listed above and those extras "educative horse books" are not mentioned. 9 of them were from MyLibrary, 2 borrowed by a friend, 6 borrowed from the local library. Also those extras were from MyLibrary. So the aim to challenge MySelf to read the books I already have was successful despite I read also other books.

* * *

And The 2018 Reading Challenge keeps on the same theme. These 4 books I got last year from friends and SantaClaus. And these are the ones I am going to read on this year... and many other... You will hear all bout them after a year... Perhaps a bit here and there too during the year...





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...